Nintendo is preparing for a weekend of fun in the sun at San Diego Convention Center for San Diego Comic-Con. Want to get in on the fun? Here’s what you need to know as you prepare for the convention.
San Diego Comic-Con is almost here, two days and counting to be exact, and Nintendo is preparing to bring some of their heaviest hitting fun for the Nintendo Switch along for the ride. Set to take place this weekend starting July 18th through the 21st, 2019, Nintendo has revealed that they will be focusing exclusively on their recently announced MARVEL ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 3: The Black Order, which launches this Friday (July 19th, 2019), at the convention.
Nintendo has revealed, however, there will be more than just that at the event across the road at the Nintendo Gaming Lounge, which will be stationed at the San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina located at 333 W. Harbor Drive, directly adjacent to the San Diego Convention center. There, Nintendo fans and attendees alike can go hands-on with a wide array of Nintendo Switch games, including upcoming titles such as Pokémon Sword, Pokémon Shield, Luigi’s Mansion 3, The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening, Super Mario Maker 2, MARVEL ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 3: The Black Order and Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the NecroDancer Featuring The Legend of Zelda.
“We are excited to give everyone a chance to play some of the newly announced games that will be launching later this year and check out what’s currently available on Nintendo Switch,” said Nick Chavez, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “We also have a variety of fun activities lined up for the show, and our aim is to bring a smile to everyone’s face.”
For those wanting to get the full MARVEL ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 3: The Black Order experience, you can head to the Marvel Games panel which is set to take place at 1:30 p.m. on July 18th, 2019, in Hall H in order to see more of the game before it launches this Friday.
However, if games aren’t your forte and you want something a bit more fun, Nintendo has also revealed an all-new Hot Wheels Mario Kart set of die-cast vehicles alongside tracksets that will be available for viewing at the Mattel booth during San Diego Comic-Con, which will include a chance for attendees to purchase a Metal Mario die-cast car and glider at the event.
But wait! There’s more! Those who purchase a vehicle has a 1 out of 10 chance to open a special Gold Mario piece. The vehicles will be sold exclusively at the Mattell booth for $20 USD while supplies are available.
Want to know a bit more about what’s going on? Take a peek down below at Nintendo’s other events going on as provided to us by our pals at Nintendo of America:
- Southwest Airlines: Two Super Mario Maker 2 kiosks will feature a custom Southwest Airlines course. Consumers will be encouraged to participate in open gameplay sessions July 18-19. On July 20, fans who are 13+ can visit the Nintendo Gaming Lounge and play Super Mario Maker 2 to enter for a chance to win a Nintendo Switch prize pack, which includes a Nintendo Switch system, a digital version of the Super Mario Maker 2 game and a $500 Southwest Airlines gift card.
- Costumes: Representatives from Disguise Costumes will be walking around to show off Nintendo-themed character costumes. Attendees might run into people wearing costumes of characters like Mario, Link, Zelda, Toad, Luigi, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Rosalina or Yoshi.
- Sugarfina: The luxury candy boutique will debut its new collection celebrating the Nintendo Entertainment System™ and Super Mario Bros.™ Power up with six character-inspired Candy Cubes®, including three new gummies: pineapple Invincible Stars, apple-flavored Green Mushrooms and cherry-flavored Red Mushrooms. The collector’s gift set features the 3-Piece Nintendo Entertainment System™ Console Candy Bento Box® complete with iconic game music and matching 2-piece Controller Candy Bento Box®. The collection hits stores on July 22.
Hot Wheels: The Nintendo Gaming Lounge is the only place to play with the new Hot Wheels Mario Kart die-cast vehicles and tracksets inspired by iconic courses from the video game. Race Mario and Yoshi as die-cast karts and overcome obstacles and challenges – just like in the game, but this time on Hot Wheels tracks!
Photo Ops: Fans who stop by the lounge can get fun photos featuring elements from games like Super Mario Maker 2, Pokémon Sword, Pokémon Shield and Luigi’s Mansion 3. Keep an eye open for the Luigi and Gooigi figures.
- My Nintendo Check-In: San Diego Comic-Con also happens to be the same weekend as the final Splatfest for the Splatoon 2 game. To commemorate this epic showdown, attendees can check in with their My Nintendo QR Code at the Nintendo Gaming Lounge to receive an exclusive Splatoon 2 Chaos vs. Order keychain set (while supplies last). For more information about the My Nintendo rewards program, and how to check-in, visit https://my.nintendo.com/news.
- The Nintendo Gaming Lounge is located in the San Diego ballroom of the Marriott Marquis & Marina at 333 W. Harbor Drive in San Diego. Hours of operation are from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday-Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday.
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order is set to release July 19th, 2019, exclusively on the Nintendo Switch.
About the Writer(s):
Dustin is our native console gamer, PlayStation and Nintendo reviewer who has an appetite for anything that crosses the borders from across the big pond. His interest in JRPG’s, Anime, Handheld Gaming, and Pizza is insatiable. His elitist attitude gives him direction, want, and a need for the hardest difficulties in games, which is fun to watch, and hilarity at its finest. You can find him over on Twitter or Facebook.